The Paramedic Certificate program prepares students for the State of Florida’s Paramedic Certification Exam and/or the National Registry of EMT Paramedic Exam (NREMT Paramedic) and for employment as registered paramedics that can perform safely and effectively as part of an emergency medical team.
This is a limited-access and limited enrollment program. See all Healthcare Program requirements.
For information about the program including accreditation, program outcomes, and the advanced placement policy, click here.
Overview / Requirements
Program Overview & Requirements
To prepare competent entry-level paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains with or without exit points at the Advanced Emergency Medical Technician and/or Emergency Medical Technician, and/or Emergency Medical Responder levels.
The Tallahassee Community College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 15B, Clearwater, FL 33763, (727) 210-2350 (www.caahep.org)
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions: 8301 Lake View Parkway, Suite 111-312, Rowlett, TX 75088, Phone: (214) 703-8445, Fax: (214) 703-8992 (www.coaemsp.org)
This program is also approved by the State of Florida Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.
42 credit hours
- Must complete all admission requirements of the College and have a standard high school diploma or GED diploma.
- Applicant must be college-ready, which means the applicant does not need developmental education courses in English, reading and/or mathematics. This requirement may be satisfied by one or more of the following options:
- The Florida Statute on Developmental Education exemption
- Adequate placement scores from the Florida Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) or other college placement scores accepted by TCC
- Completion of developmental education courses
- Completion of at least and one general education Mathematics State Core course
- Must be a Florida-certified EMT or be eligible to take the Florida EMT examination. (EMT certification must be obtained before starting the program.)*
- Must hold current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification at the Healthcare Provider level or American Red Cross certification in CPR for the Healthcare Provider/Professional Rescuer. Online BLS or CPR courses will not be accepted.
- Must pass all clinical affiliates’ requirements for criminal background checks, drug screenings and health/immunizations before starting all classes.
- Satisfactory completion of program course prerequisite.
*Students who are not yet EMTs may wish to enroll in the Emergency Medical Technician Applied Technology Diploma (B312) program to begin their progress in this field.
The Paramedic certificate program begins each Fall and each Spring semester. It is a limited-access program with a limited number of seats per class. Application procedures must be completed by the published deadline. Applicants must submit both a general TCC application (www.tcc.fl.edu/apply) and a separate healthcare program application by the published deadline. Students may access the healthcare program application through their TCC Passport account.
See Additional Healthcare Degree Requirements for more important information.
Healthcare Professions, Ghazvini Center for Healthcare Education
(850) 558-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View Information about Graduation Requirements and Year of Entry .
- BSC1084C Human Biology: Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology 4 credit hour(s) *
- EMS2603 Paramedic I Lecture 8 credit hour(s)
- EMS2603L Paramedic I Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- EMS2604 Paramedic II Lecture 8 credit hour(s)
- EMS2604L Paramedic II Lab 2 credit hour(s)
- EMS2605 Paramedic III Lecture 4 credit hour(s)
- EMS2605L Paramedic III Lab 3 credit hour(s)
- EMS2659L Paramedic Field Internship 3 credit hour(s)
- EMS2666L Paramedic I Clinical 4 credit hour(s)
- EMS2667L Paramedic II Clinical 4 credit hour(s)
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
In addition to the coursework, the student must participate in required specified hours of clinical experience during each semester.
* Prerequisite Course. Students may choose to complete the Anatomy & Physiology series (BSC2085 /BSC2085L and BSC2086 /BSC2086L ) instead of BSC1084C . All courses must be completed before application to the program.